It's a lot more rare now than it was a couple of years ago, before I tucked it away.
But still, something's wrong with it. Maybe I'll try to replace the voltage regulators and recap the PSU.
Some of the buttons are a bit difficult to get to trigger as well. That can wait though...
Wow. That flash really brings out the worst in machines as well as humans.
I've been curious about the ESQ-1 and the SQ-80 for a while but never really prioritized it.
Now with most of my analogue hunger stilled, I took the opportunity to grab a wavetable synthesizer with analog CEM filters. So, I bought it and had it sent to me in a hard case. Picked it up 10 days ago.
The previous owner took the old battery out and put a CR2032 in a holder in for me, so that's taken care of.
Hmmm, I think this is my first "digital" synth. (I mean digitally created waveforms, don't start the DCO-discussions...), samplers and softsynths excluded of course.
Still, the filters are analog ;)
I finally opened this one up and took a look inside.
The PSU voltages looked fine on the oscilloscope and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong there.
I still experienced some resets/crashes but they seem completely random.
Time to pop the hood
When I came back home from work yesterday I decided it was time to open this thing up and see what it looked like inside... Perhaps also, if possible, repair any faults I find so it becomes useable.
I got a Juno-60!!! At work today I heard that someone in my city was selling a broken Juno-60 really cheap. I was wondering how I could have missed that as since I regularly check them several times a day and the ad in question was posted yesterday. Hm.. What else have I missed? Anyway... I sent the guy a message and after some bidding and discussions I drove there after work and looked at it. Obviously it had no MIDI but it seemed like all the voices were working so I bought it! WOOOO!!!
Well it took a while but last week I decided to just get it done. I had had the replacement switches for the panel buttons at home for a long time and I finally decided to replace them. The rest followed and I fixed it up pretty well...
I had ordered a keyboard repair set for keyboards using the "rubber membrane with carbon peg against PCB traces"-style contacts. These are used on many keyboards such as the Juno-2, JX-8P, Polysix and of course Poly-61. Cleaning the PCB and the carbon only seems to remove the very worst of the grease and dust but I didn't get a feeling that the keyboard was really "like new" in terms of triggering afterwards.
So, I decided to try these things... You can see how thin they are. They come pre-punched with an adhesive so you peel them off of the tape, like little stickers.
Just a small update. Nothing big. I received the swithces I ordered for my Oberheim Matrix-6 and replaced them. It was pretty quick and easy. Just remove the board from the panel, unplug a couple of connectors, remove those grayish button tops and off with the switches!
Here's just a photo of when I'm half-way there. Old switches removed. New ones in the ziplock bag, waiting to be placed on the board.
Buttons work perfectly now. Aaahhh...
Oh, I broke the volume pot that I had put in... It got caught in something when I opened the panel and the rear pins just snapped and took a part of the back of the pot with them... Luckily I bought two so I had a spare one :)
Or maybe it's just time for my second Depeche Mode cover. I wanted to make a simple electronic sounding cover of "It doesn't matter two" from the Black Celebration album. I am quite pleased with the results. As always, my singing is what bothers me the most. Had to do a lot of takes for this to become good enough.
This is an all VST arrangement using only Cubase Studio 4, Zebra, Pro-53, FM8, Reaktor and Alchemy, and of course some plugins for dynamics and reverb, etc...
Self-initiated calibration? Wow, was it almost a year and a half ago I did my last entry about this? Time flies!!! Well, I removed my Poly-61 from a table I have kept it on while working on it and put my Matrix-6 there instead and plugged it in just to see how it was doing. I noticed all the keys were still working, except two, which I think I knew about but forgot. Good news at least that they're not getting worse again like on the Poly-61...
Also, I took the opportunity to install the two replacement keys I ordered from http://sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/parts/key.htm. They are actually Korg Lambda keys which lack a small tab that pushes the rubber contact down but Bob kindly glued some wooden piece there instead and they seem to work just fine! :)
Replacing the buttons The two boards with the 17 buttons. Replacements in the bag. Red write button cap already pulled.
Enough idling! I decided it was time to replace the set of buttons on the Poly61. I had previously ordered a set of switches for the buttons from vintageplanet.nl but never took the time to replace them.
I have always been interested in electronics and synthesizers. I studied electrical engineering in the first year of college but I dropped out due to poor motivation, not liking mathematics and laziness and things like that :)
A while later I started studying Computer Science which I eventually got my degree in.
Recently my interest in music and electronics started to come back and I am sort of trying to pick up where I left around 15 years ago.